Suppliers are a critical component of your growth and survival. Your approach to suppliers needs to be part of your strategic plan, since almost every company, whether product or service oriented, is dependent on suppliers. Many people seem to get this supplier issue wrong. They feel that because they write the order, they are in the dominant position and can exploit it with unreasonable demands, including personal perks. Please let's get this right! You need good and reliable suppliers. When you find them, treat them like gold. I personally don't want gifts from suppliers. For every lunch or dinner they buy me, I want to match it and buy them one. Work as hard on building a supplier relationship as with any other one. Be loyal to your good ones. They are essential to your good health and your growth. They are a nuanced Bootstrapping strategy.
HOW SUPPLIERS IMPACT YOU
Let's briefly look at all the ways they can impact your company.
- Quality. Whether you purchase a component, finished product, or service, suppliers can positively or negatively affect the quality of your product. Higher quality increases customer satisfaction and decreases returns, which add cash to your bottom line.
- Timeliness. Their timely deliveries are crucial to how customers view your reliability. Their quick turnaround becomes the key to your minimization of inventory, which in turn translates to less risk of inventory obsolescence and lower cash needs.
- Competitiveness. They can keep you competitive and one-up on your competition based on their pricing, quality, reliability, technological breakthroughs, and knowledge of industry trends.
- Innovation. They can make major contributions to your new product development. Remember, they live their product more than you do. They are also working to be on the cutting edge of innovation of their product. The good ones will understand your company, its industry, your needs, and help you accordingly in your new idea execution.
- Finance. They can be a major and constant source of financing for you. Your payment terms to them can be an important source of money because their extended terms don't usually carry interest. If over a period of time you've proven to be a considerate, loyal, and growing customer, you may be able to tap into your suppliers for additional financing in your growth mode-or if you run into a cash crunch. It may take the form of postponed debt, extended terms on new purchases, a loan, or an investment in your company... all of which improve your cash position.
IT'S OKAY TO BE A DEMANDING CUSTOMER
Having said how valuable and important a supplier can be to you, I'll now say that you should not be a patsy. You can be a demanding customer-just be fair. State your quality and time needs clearly. Hold your suppliers to their agreements. Make sure they stay competitive. Tell them you never expect to pay higher prices than other purchasers. Let them know that you are there for the long term as long as they perform and can keep pace with your growth. There are times you need to replace a supplier because you have outgrown them and they can't perform to your new expectation. Before dropping them, however, I would try to educate them or help them change to keep up with you. Failing that, you might be able to throw them some bones in the hope that over time they can change and grow to meet the needs of your new business model. It's not prudent to rely on one supplier. If that supplier has a strike or a fire, you don't want to be in a position where you'd be shut down too. So develop a second or multiple suppliers and don't be embarrassed to tell your key supplier that you're doing so. They will appreciate your honesty. If they are savvy, they'll also know you need backup suppliers on key products or services if you are to raise money. The lenders are sure to ask this question.
HOW TO BE A VALUED CUSTOMER
These ideas assume, of course, that you are a customer that somebody out there wants. Don't take this for granted! In order to be a valued customer to your suppliers, here are a few good things you should do:
- Pay your bills on time. For the sake of emphasis, I'll repeat this one: Pay your bills on time! You can negotiate for favorable payment terms before you place an order, but once the order is placed, don't renege or attempt to change the rules. Always pay on time. If for some reason you can't, call up your suppliers and tell them why and when you will pay. Don't play games with suppliers' cash. You'll be absolutely amazed at the goodwill and benefits you will earn by observing this simple rule.
- Provide adequate lead times. Try to give suppliers as much lead time as possible on your orders. Unless there's a good competitive reason not to, share with them your honest projections of your needs, and then keep them abreast of any significant changes in that estimation. In developing your lead times, try to be knowledgeable about your supplier's production methods and needs.
- Personalize the relationship. Include suppliers in some of your strategy meetings. Visit their offices. invite them to break bread, and to meetings with your people, including office parties and picnics.
- Share information. Keep your good suppliers aware of what's going on in your company. Tell them about changes in key personnel, new products, special promotions, new markets, and so on. Many times, you'll find that good suppliers can be helpful to you in getting new customers.
Developing good suppliers and dealing with them effectively is not a complicated process. Tell them of your needs and standards, treat them fairly, be demanding, be loyal, be communicative, and pay them on time.
By Bob Reiss
Photography © Horst Petzold
Bob Reiss is the author of Bootstrapping 101: Tips to Build Your Business with Limited Cash and Free Outside Help. Bob has written a 22 page E-Guide to learn everything you ever wanted to know about Sales Reps. Click HERE for more details and to order your Free copy. To read more tips for small business success, entrepreneurs can follow his weekly blog. Bob Reiss has been involved in 16 start-ups, is a three-time INC 500 winner, a graduate of Columbia University and Harvard Business School, and the subject of two Harvard case studies. He is a frequent speaker at university entrepreneurial classes.
This comment has been removed by the author.ReplyDelete
Great Article Cloud Computing ProjectsDelete
Final Year Projects for CSE
The Angular Training covers a wide range of topics including Components, Angular Directives, Angular Services, Pipes, security fundamentals, Routing, and Angular programmability. The new Angular TRaining will lay the foundation you need to specialise in Single Page Application developer. Angular Training
I am an Interior designer in London. I would like to share my views about timeliness, If you are providing any services to customers or you are maintaining business relations with clients than always choose your timeline with addition of two days. If you get delay due to any reason than you can use those extra time to work or if you finish your work on time than you can give a positive surprise to your client. It will make a good impact in their minds.
I have read your blog, its very interesting and useful to everyone. Thank you Keep updating.We are offering PLC Course in Chennai at Wiztech Automation.ReplyDelete
PLC Training in Chennai | PLC Training Institute in Chennai | PLC Training Center in Chennai | PLC SCADA Training in Chennai | Inplant Training in Chennai
Thanks for this informative blog please keep posting more often as it might help someone who is looking ti gain more knowledge.ReplyDelete
Nice post. Thanks for sharing.ReplyDelete
nice and really helpful article to everyone... thanks for sharingReplyDelete
Very nice piece of information, please keep updating and share your valuable information with us.ReplyDelete
Thanks for sharing this with us it is a worth read. Excellent post!ReplyDelete
Nice post.. Thank you for sharing.ReplyDelete
Your Blog is really Nice..Thanks for sharing.ReplyDelete
Great, please keep updating and share your valuable information with us.ReplyDelete
PLC Training in Kerala | PLC Training Institute in Kerala | PLC Training Center in Kerala | PLC SCADA Training in Kerala | Inplant Training in Kerala
Thanks for the blog post buddy! Keep them coming...ReplyDelete
This blog through it words has given a key to proficiency.ReplyDelete
Artificial boxwood mat
Perusing something so delightful has a recovering force for the soul.ReplyDelete
Below you will understand what is important, the idea provides one of the links with an exciting site:ReplyDelete
visit our website
I'm glad I found this web site, I couldn't find any knowledge on this matter prior to.Also operate a site and if you are ever interested in doing some visitor writing for me if possible feel free to let me know, im always look for people to check out my web site. Stacking Doors TorontoReplyDelete
That is really nice to hear. thank you for the update and good luck. interior trends 2019ReplyDelete
I read that Post and got it fine and informative. printable wall artReplyDelete
Do you live in a small apartment or a contemporary newly built house with open plan living areas? All this needs to be considered when choosing colours for a space.hdb renovation contractor called 3d innovationsReplyDelete
thanks this is good blog. Home Renovation TorontoReplyDelete
canada goose jacketReplyDelete
nike lebron 16
nike air max 2018
I was reading your article and wondered if you had considered creating an ebook on this subject. Your writing would sell it fast. You have a lot of writing talent. manufacturingReplyDelete
Admiring the time and effort you put into your blog and detailed information you offer!..ReplyDelete
Great post! I am actually getting ready to across this information, is very helpful my friend. Also great blog here with all of the valuable information you have. Keep up the good work you are doing here. Guttering BlogReplyDelete
What could fill somebody's heart with joy other than perusing such perfectly created blog, for example, this.ReplyDelete
Your blog provided us with valuable information to work with. Each & every tips of your post are awesome. Thanks a lot for sharing. Keep blogging,ReplyDelete
Thanks for your post. I’ve been thinking about writing a very comparable post over the last couple of weeks, I’ll probably keep it short and sweet and link to this instead if thats cool. Thanks. ui ux agenciesReplyDelete
This web page can be a stroll-via for all the information you needed about this and didn’t know who to ask. Glimpse here, and also you’ll definitely uncover it. https://royalcbd.com/product/cbd-capsules-25mg/ReplyDelete
This comment has been removed by the author.ReplyDelete
The next time I read a blog, I hope that it doesnt disappoint me as much as this one. I mean, I know it was my choice to read, but I actually thought youd have something interesting to say. All I hear is a bunch of whining about something that you could fix if you werent too busy looking for attention. branding firms san franciscoReplyDelete
Some truly wonderful content on this web site , thankyou for contribution. san francisco design agencyReplyDelete
hi was just seeing if you minded a comment. i like your website and the thme you picked is super. I will be back. get instagram photo likes freeReplyDelete
I read your post and I found it amazing! thank! Gold Coast Interior DesignersReplyDelete
There are so many colors that differ in density and shades that it's really hard to make the best choice right from the start closets. Colors that look great in one home may not suit the interior of a new house.ReplyDelete
learn about his See It Before You Buy It approach to landscaping Best landscaping Wylie txReplyDelete
But wait, how comfortable and safe could a bed be on a plane that potentially shakes and moves erratically from time to triple bunk bed walmartReplyDelete
Nonetheless, there are some significant hints to hold up under as a primary concern before you paint your dividers. exterior painterReplyDelete
Obviously, if the issues are little and can stand by it will be more practical while employing a handyman to come and fix the issues. When gathering occupations most jacks of all trades will work out an arrangement for the mortgage holders. Polish building contractorReplyDelete
Budapest is actually two cities in one - Buda and Pest sit on opposite banks of the mighty river Danube. The greatest attraction for many visitors is the Castle District, which is found on Castle Hill. budapest propertyReplyDelete
Therefore you always get the best for them. Show them your love in their bedroom too. girls bunk bed with slideReplyDelete
We are really grateful for your blog post. You will find a lot of approaches after visiting your post. I was exactly searching for. Thanks for such post and please keep it up. Great workReplyDelete
interior design companies
Thanks for sharing such unique information which are in actual fact as well as helpful for us. dda dubai | addc approvalReplyDelete
This comment has been removed by the author.ReplyDelete